Wednesday 10 October 2012





So, 1st project in second year. We have been given the task of making a title sequence, and our group decided to do an opening for a biopic of Willie Sutton. 

He was a thief from the 30s and 40s, notorious for his use of disguises to rob from banks.
When looking into styles of openings, we found the title sequence of 'Catch Me if You Can' to be very visually appealing. The solid, bold colours and the stamp-like style of the characters seems to convey the tone that we are aiming for - the idea of a grand caper and using disguises to evade capture are reflected in the opening, so it ties in well with the life story of Willie Sutton. 
In the pictures above I was trying to get a feel for the style of the character designs, and to try an emulate the grainy texture of the stamps used to make the opening for 'Catch me if you can,' I tried using charcoal.
I'm going to look into Art Deco as a possible style for the backgrounds and setting of the opening, so I'll start looking around at some photos of architecture in that style, as well as paintings. Hopefully I'll have something to post up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment